Relationships can be tough and every couple deserves compassion, respect, and support. Couples who receive counselling show significant benefits in their relationship. Even the strongest of relationships can benefit. Don't wait...
Often couples wait until issues become severe before they decide to seek counselling. The longer issues are left, the more entrenched they become. The chance of marriage ending in divorce over a forty year period is approximately 67% and half of these divorces occur in the first seven years of marriage.
When working with couples I believe it is important to create a positive, comfortable, and easy-to-talk-to environment, where there is no finger pointing or fault finding but instead a hope-focused direction.
I help couples in the following areas:
- Communicate more effectively
- Repair from conflict
- Better understand each other's differences and feel heard
- Rebuild from infidelity / affairs
- Establish stronger trust in your relationship
- Learn skills to compromise
- Work through feeling stuck or gridlocked on issues
- Effectively address stresses / life changes together
- Restore connection, friendship, and intimacy
- Heal from past hurts
- Maintain your relationship with a "marriage checkup"
- Transition better together as new parents...
Beginning a family is a significant transition in a couple's relationship - it can be exciting and overwhelming at the same time. From the research we know that 67% of couples experience a drop in relationship satisfaction within the first three years of the baby's life. Learn how to navigate through this time more effectively together, and build a more healthy, supportive relationship so that you and your baby can thrive.
- Affair / infidelity recovery...
Discovering an emotional or sexual affair is devastating in a relationship and can feel unrepairable. Often a partner asks themselves how they can ever trust again or how this could happen in their relationship. There is a way to recover, heal, and rebuild. In the research couples who pursue counselling have a higher success rate in recovering from an affair.
Engaged and saying "I do?"...
More couples are seeking counselling before they get married and recognize it as a benefit in strengthening their relationship, 'ironing' out any issues, and planning a future together. Engage in deep, meaningful, and important conversations before the wedding. Recognize strengths and areas to strengthen. Learn tools to deepen understanding of each other and discuss subjects you may not have talked about or have difficulty discussing.
In the process of couple's counselling I integrate an assessment,
individual / couple sessions, development of tools, and maintenance of positive changes to have a more successful relationship.
You can learn more about this assessment at:
Gottman Relationship Checkup.
Couples counselling is a process and not a "quick fix". It takes work inside and outside of sessions. Couples find they benefit most when:
- They both actively participate in sessions
- They both commit to strengthening their relationship
- They both follow up with exercises / homework
- They both ask questions and provide feedback along they way
- They both make counselling a priority
For more information about couples counselling check out: Timing is everything when it comes to couples counselling
If you are seeking couples counselling please print and complete the New Client Form below and bring it to your first appointment: